Prepare Your Hazardous Material Business Plan


A Hazardous Material Business Plan (Business Plan) is required by the State of California (H&SC 25500-25519) for all businesses that manage hazardous materials (i.e., gasoline, oil, sulfuric acid, caustic, ammonia, diesel fuel, sand blast abrasive, hazardous waste …) in quantities that are above:

  • 55 gallons for liquids
  • 200 cu ft for gases
  • 500 lbs. for solids
  • Extremely hazardous substances above threshold planning quantities (TPQ)
  • 5,000 lbs. for solids or 550 gal for liquids of sensitizer or irritants

Businesses that store more than 10,000 lbs. of hazardous materials must submit Business Plans annually while business that store less than 10,000 lbs. are required to submit Business Plans every 3 years but must certify annually, typically by March 1 of each year. Business Plans must also be updated when:

  • A new hazardous material is brought to the site
  • A hazardous material is removed from the site
  • An existing hazardous material is moved to a new location at a site
  • The amount of a hazardous material is doubled for halved

Almost all Business Plans are managed/updated through the California online Environmental Reporting System (CERS) reporting tool located here.